Tuesday, January 15, 2008

mind over manner

Hey everybody. I just want to thank you for all your wonderful comments and attention.

That's just me showing some good manners. We talked about kids having good manners this morning. There is a school in England that is starting a "manner class" for their students. They will learn proper manners and the like.

I think this is a fabulous idea. It may make me sound old if I say "kids these days"...BUT, I was saying that when I was a kid. So...kids those days too.

What do you think? Do kids have good manners these days? Should it be taught in school? At home?

Speaking of manners, what does it mean to mind your P's and Q's? I mean, I always heard it, but never really thought about it until now. "P" could be please, but what could "q" mean? Please and Quank You? Is that how they said "thanks" in old English? Did they spell it with a q?

Person 1: Hear Ye! I seeketh an ale!

Person 2: Mind your P's and Q's!

Person 1: Forgiveth Me! Please, giveth me an ale!

Person 2: Me pleasure! An ale for thine belly!

Person 1: Quank Thee!

Golly...I wish I lived in ye olde times. They had some fun conversations.

That's enough of that, I'm offeth to practice my manners.

Enjoyeth!

-Lopez...eth

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lopez,

You don't know how close you were to the real meaning! P's and Q's stood for Pints & Quarts. Ye olde tavern owners, barkeeps and barmaids would say this to the unruly rabble who frequented their watering holes. When a drunken sot would try to start a brawl, or attempt to goose the bar wench, they would be told to mind their pints and quarts. (Yes, they drank QUARTS in ye olde times!)

Stay Gold,
Janine

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info Janine!